Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I Wish I'd Told You

Since day one my mama said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
She lay tired on her labour bed,
My papa holding me in his arms.

First day of school my mama said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
She waved as my bus rolled ahead,
Her smile to mine you could not compare.

First time away my papa said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
He hugged and kissed and I quickly fled,
My parents were just too clingy for me.

Graduation day my papa said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
Congratulations! Your future is set!
I couldn’t wait to leave this place.

One year in my mama said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
I said nothing, it was a dread,
Away from them, it was just too great.

Graduation day again my mama said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
You’re all grown up and smart in the head,
Now I could finally live my own life.

One year away my papa said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
When are you coming back? It read,
I lied and said, soon.

Five years away my mama said,
Oh darling baby I love you so,
A thousand more, those tears she bled,
Your papa is no longer here with us.
I stood in shock and wondered aloud,
Where did all my time go?
Millions of thoughts running through my head,
Oh papa I wish you weren’t dead.
Oh papa I never told you but I wish I did,

I love you, I love you, I love you so.

*I won a competition with this poem! :)